Guest: Jonas Rinde, Founder of Nomono
Hosted by Kevin Mako of MAKO Design + Invent
Jonas Rinde is the founder of his latest product Nomono, a portable podcasting device. Prior to that, he had 3 major product exits totaling billions of dollars in acquisitions, in addition to working on over 50 hardware products over the last 20 years. Today Jonas is going to share valuable knowledge for inventors, startups, and small manufacturers on the three key elements to building a great new physical consumer product device, and how each of those has led him to achieve billion-dollar success with many hardware products.
Today you will hear us talk about:
- 1st wow: How you get to know the product as a new potential customer
- Approachable design
- 2nd wow: What happens when you use the product
- 3rd wow: After you use the product, have you developed a fan
- Listen to your customers, but also find focus.
- Focus and MVP are key, limit feature creep.
- Don’t throw the feature creep ideas away, just store them, structure them, and prioritize them for possible future versions in the future.
- Nail the first product, then start building more versions of your product to make a portfolio of related products
- Take your product to the street.
- Simple design means also easy to sell, but also easy for the customers to use.
Partner: PTC’s best-in-class software solutions Onshape: The only cloud-native product development platform that delivers full-featured computer-aided design (CAD), integrated product data management (PDM) and enterprise analytics in a single system, and Creo: 3D CAD solution that provides designers with the most innovative tools to build better products faster, such as generative design, additive manufacturing, real-time simulation, IIoT, and augmented reality.
About: MAKO Design + Invent is the original firm providing world-class consumer product development services tailored to startups, small manufacturers, and inventors. Simply put, we are the leading one-stop-shop for developing your physical product from idea to store shelves, all in a high-quality, cost-effective, and timely manner. We operate as one powerhouse 30-person product design team spread across 4 offices to serve you (Austin, Miami, San Francisco, & Toronto). We have full-stack in-house industrial design, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, patent referral, prototyping, and manufacturing services. To assist our startup and inventor clients, in addition to above, we help with business strategy, product strategy, marketing, and sales/distribution for all consumer product categories. Also, our founder Kevin Mako hosts The Product Startup Podcast, the industry's leading hardware podcast. Check it out for tips, interviews, and best practices for hardware startups, inventors, and product developers. Click HERE to learn more about MAKO Design + Invent!