With Noah Graff, Vice President at Graff-Pinkert Machinery
Hosted by Kevin Mako, President of MAKO Design + Invent
Noah Graff serves as the Vice President at Graff Pinkert, an established global dealer of pre-owned manufacturing machinery that has been in operation for 80 years, with a central warehouse located in the United States. Additionally, he is the host of the Swarfcast Podcast, which concentrates on machinery and tool machining within the manufacturing sector. Today, Noah will provide valuable knowledge on how inventors, startups, and small manufacturers can establish their local production facilities, as well as the key considerations to make when procuring pre-owned equipment for production.
Today you will hear us talk about:
- Producing equipment for manufacturing products.
- More hardware startups are inquiring about purchasing machinery than ever before.
- Using machinery to manufacture other products can reduce the cost of acquiring the equipment, allowing for dual use: one for your own product and one for other products.
- Utilizing machinery to learn how to improve your manufacturing process and product quality.
- Knowing the caliber of machine that you need based on the part that you need is key.
- Prioritize finding a machinery supplier with excellent support services to meet your needs.
- Reshoring is becoming more prevalent as product startups aim to produce more goods domestically.
- Manufacturing your own product provides greater control over the final product.
- 3:45 – How can a start-up think about starting their own manufacturing facility for their own hardware product
- 4:00 – More hardware startups have bought manufacturing machinery than has ever been seen before.
- 4:30 – Picking machinery comes down to the right application and considerations for your unique hardware product business.
- 5:05 – Micromanufacturing of small products is becoming more common
- 5:50 – Sometimes you can offset the costs of your machinery by manufacturing your own product, but when small, and in the downtime, you can also bring in revenue by helping manufacture parts or products for other people too. This is excess capacity and can be quite valuable to a startup when utilized.
- 7:00 – Learn more about your product by using your first machine. Start small and work your way up.
- 7:25 – Just because manufacturing machinery is expensive and brand new, does not mean it is the best machinery for your product business.
- 7:50 – Older machine are a mere fraction of the cost of new ones.
- 8:05 – The brand of machinery is not nearly as important as the machinery support, so focus on support as your priority.
- 9:00 – There is a relationship between the product and the machinery that is used to make it, that relationship can create additional improvements to your product
- 10:00 – More people are setting up their own machinery to bring manufacturing back home, also for more control overall of their manufacturing process.
- 12:30 – Manufacturing can add value to a hardware startup’s valuation
- 13:00 – Reduce the risk of your startup by using the machinery for revenue
Partner: PTC’s best-in-class software solutions Onshape: The only cloud-native product development platform that delivers full-featured computer-aided design (CAD), integrated product data management (PDM) and enterprise analytics in a single system, and Creo: 3D CAD solution that provides designers with the most innovative tools to build better products faster, such as generative design, additive manufacturing, real-time simulation, IIoT, and augmented reality.
About: MAKO Design + Invent is the original firm providing world-class consumer product development services tailored to startups, small manufacturers, and inventors. Simply put, we are the leading one-stop-shop for developing your physical product from idea to store shelves, all in a high-quality, cost-effective, and timely manner. We operate as one powerhouse 30-person product design team spread across 4 offices to serve you (Austin, Miami, San Francisco, & Toronto). We have full-stack in-house industrial design, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, patent referral, prototyping, and manufacturing services. To assist our startup and inventor clients, in addition to above, we help with business strategy, product strategy, marketing, and sales/distribution for all consumer product categories. Also, our founder Kevin Mako hosts The Product Startup Podcast, the industry's leading hardware podcast. Check it out for tips, interviews, and best practices for hardware startups, inventors, and product developers. Click HERE to learn more about MAKO Design + Invent!