MAKO Design + Invent is proud to be a supporter of “Venture Day” an event that attracts over 300 investors, serial entrepreneurs and Canadian business leaders. 23 of Canada’s hottest Startups are ready to pitch and compete for external funding after enduring through the intensive programs offered by The Next 36 and The Next Founders. We are excited to be joining Canada’s most promising students who have become high impact entrepreneurs. Venture Day will be open by Reza Satchu the founding chair and co-founder of The Next 36. The keynote speech will be “Lessons Learned from Dreaming Big and Tackling the Big Guys” from Anthony Lacavera, the Chairman and CEO of Globalive Holding and Wind Mobile.
There have already been several notable entrepreneurs and Startups that have come out from The Next 36.
– Stephen Lake, Co-founder of Thalmic Labs has already pre-sold over 30,000 units of the MYO from 146 countries. The MYO lets you use the electrical activity in your muscles to wirelessly control your computer, phone, and other favorite digital technologies. The team has closed $14.5M of Series A funding from Spark Capital, Intel Capita, Formation 8, First Round Capital and FundersClub along with several talented individual investors.
– Omer Dor, Founder of Mobicare has developed a Mobile Health Platform focusing on assisting & empowering families with Alzheimers disease and related dementia. The start-up was acquired by Ohio-based Masonic Aging Services.
– Konrad Listwan-Ciesielski and Emilie Cushman, Co-founders of Kira Talent has created a video interviewing platform with over 20 major enterprises and educational customers. The company has closed over $2 million on seed funding.
The Agenda for Venture Day 2014 will feature
– 8:30 am – Opening Remarks – Reza Satchu
– 8:45 – 9:25 am – Keynote Address – Anthony Lacavera “Lessons Learned from Dreaming Big and Tackling the Big Guys”
– 9:30 – 10:50 am – 23 Pitches from The Next 36 and The Next Founders Venture Pitches
– 11:20 am – 12:35 pm – Graduation and Awards
I’ll be live tweeting tomorrow and hope you can join us tomorrow with the live stream provided by organizers of The Next 36.
By: Jon Ku
MAKO Design + Invent is a full-service consumer product development firm servicing both high-growth corporate manufacturers and invention startups. With a 25-person team across 3 offices (Austin, England, Toronto), MAKO has complete in-house industrial design, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering design and prototyping services. To assist our start-up inventor clients, we also have a subsidiary branch called Mako Invent that, in addition to above, helps start-ups with patenting, strategy, marketing, and sales/distribution for all consumer product categories. For our corporate clients, MAKO Design develops world-class consumer electronics designs through our industrial, mechanical, and electrical design teams.