With Chris Peer, Author of The Great 8 Pillars
Hosted by Kevin Mako, President of MAKO Design + Invent
Chris Peer is the author of The Great 8 Pillars of ROI-Driven Marketing. He is also the founder of SyncShow, a 20-year-old marketing company specifically for manufacturers and supply chain. Today Chris is going to share some valuable knowledge for inventors, startups, and small manufacturers on the 8 required pillars of building a great marketing strategy for your product, the importance of those pillars, and best practices on how to build a successful marketing machine for your new hardware brand.
Here are the key takeaways from the episode:
- Return on Investment for marketing is critical
- Investing on marketing early saves you a lot of money down the road.
- Drive more sales than you spend in marketing.
- Track and measure.
- 8 pillars of product marketing success, in order of importance
- Goals, KPIs and industry benchmarks. An ROI driven goal for marketing.
- Value proposition. Nail that ideal customer profile and what pain points you are solving for them.
- Your marketing strategy. Very few people have it. Where is your target market, channels that your buyers shop,
- Your marketing team.
- Your website
- Your analytics and reporting.
- Your technology stack. CRM and marketing automation.
- Templates and guides.
- Not a single pillar is a marketing tactic, this is a marketing infrastructure.
- Build marketing and sales infrastructure early in your hardware startup.
- Make sure to track first point of contact with your brand all the way through to a sale. Website, marketing, and sales are all linked together.
Chris Peer Links:
The Product Startup Podcast Links:
MAKO Design Links:
Kevin Mako Links:
Producer: MAKO Design + Invent is the original firm providing world-class consumer product development services tailored to startups, small manufacturers, and inventors. Simply put, we are the leading one-stop-shop for developing your physical product from idea to store shelves, all in a high-quality, cost-effective, and timely manner. We operate as one powerhouse 30-person product design team spread across 4 offices to serve you (Austin, Miami, San Francisco, & Toronto). We have full-stack in-house industrial design, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, patent referral, prototyping, and manufacturing services. To assist our startup and inventor clients, in addition to above, we help with business strategy, product strategy, marketing, and sales/distribution for all consumer product categories.