With Paul Davis, Senior Industrial Designer at MAKO Design
Hosted by Kevin Mako, President of MAKO Design + Invent
Paul Davis is a senior industrial designer at our very own MAKO Design for almost 10 years. He achieved Honors status in his degree in Product Design Engineering and Industrial Design at Edinburgh University. Today Paul will share valuable knowledge for inventors, startups, and small manufacturers on the difference between basic CAD and design for manufacturing, why design for manufacturing is so important early in the design process, and best practices for designing a product for manufacturing success.
Here are the key takeaways from the episode:
- Designing products for manufacturing.
- Cost-effective, good-looking, and high-quality is best!
- Concept design needs to take into account planning, parts, and logic for how the product will eventually be manufactured.
- Simplicity in design leads to quality manufacturing.
- Using manufacturing CAD software to build original CAD models heavily improves the process and reduces cost in both prototyping and manufacturing.
- Considering how you manufacture your product while building your first full CAD design is integral.
- There are many manufacturing methods that go into developing a new hardware product.
- Manufacturing draft angles, tool design, part integration, OEM parts, materials data sets, etc.
- Industrial design and conceptual mechanical engineering are interconnected.
- Simple products succeed more often than complex products for new hardware startups developing a new invention idea for the first time for manufacturing.
Paul Davis Links:
The Product Startup Podcast Links:
MAKO Design Links:
Kevin Mako Links:
Producer: MAKO Design + Invent is the original firm providing world-class consumer product development services tailored to startups, small manufacturers, and inventors. Simply put, we are the leading one-stop-shop for developing your physical product from idea to store shelves, all in a high-quality, cost-effective, and timely manner. We operate as one powerhouse 30-person product design team spread across 4 offices to serve you (Austin, Miami, San Francisco, & Toronto). We have full-stack in-house industrial design, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, patent referral, prototyping, and manufacturing services. To assist our startup and inventor clients, in addition to above, we help with business strategy, product strategy, marketing, and sales/distribution for all consumer product categories.